Low-Income Discount on Garbage Collection
The City of East Wenatchee City Council wishes to provide reduced rates for garbage (solid waste) services to low-income citizens residing within City limits. A 20% discount was approved by the agreement between Waste Management and the City of East Wenatchee effective 01/01/2022.
To apply for the Low-Income discount, the applicant must reside within city limits and be the primary customer for the location with Waste Management.
City of East Wenatchee - Waste Management Resources and Information Web Page (recycling, garbage, yard debris, rates and billing, pay my bill, etc.)
- The income threshold to qualify for this discount is the HUD Income Limits (Low 80% Income Limits) for Wenatchee, WA.
- A household with a single person must have a total gross income for the preceding year of $39,950, or less;
- A household with two persons must have a total gross income for the preceding year of $45,650, or less;
- A household with more than two persons must meet the 2021 HUD Income Limits (Low 80% Income Limits).
- Automatic eligibility is granted if the applicant is already qualified for the "Douglas County Property Tax Exemption for Senior Citizens and People with Disabilities" discount program.
- New applications can be made at any time for the current year and are not retroactive.
- Applications may be submitted for residential locations only.
- A renewal application must be received each year by April 15th for the discount to continue. Gross household income is verified each year.
- The Low-Income application to the city must be submitted in the name of a "primary" Waste Management account holder.
- The "total gross" household income means the income of all persons living within the household. This includes, but is not limited to, wages, interest from savings and bonds, annuities, Social Security, retirement benefits, supplemental security income (SSI), Social Security or private disability income, veteran’s benefits, Labor and Industry benefits, etc., without adjustment for any business or other losses or expenses.
- The application must be for a full-time resident at a service location and a discount shall not be provided for more than one location for any one individual.
The following documentation should be submitted with the application:
- Proof of identity (Washington State Issued ID).
- Copy of a current Waste Management solid waste bill for the location address.
- Proof of income, examples provided below.
- Social Security annual income notification for the current year
- 1040 tax forms
- IRS Transcripts
- Other income verification forms as requested
City of East Wenatchee
Attn: City Clerk
271 9th Street NE
East Wenatchee, WA 98802